Islamabad: 1. The Foreign Secretary and the Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, His Excellency Mr. Mohammad Umer Daudzai had an in-depth meeting today.
2. Both sides paid particular attention to the prevailing situation created by the militants in Dir, Bajaur, Mohmand and Kunar regions, which was a matter of deep concern to both the governments and peoples of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
3. Pakistan condemns the loss of lives and destruction of property on both sides by the militants. We consider Afghanistan’s loss as our own loss. It is, therefore, imperative that efforts be redoubled by both sides to attain the objectives of shared peace and security and to enhance cooperation for shared development and prosperity.
4. The Foreign Secretary conveyed to Ambassador Daudzai the importance that Pakistan attaches to establishing peace and tranquillity in the border region and the importance of effectively curbing the activities of the miscreants.
5. This matter has been the subject of contacts at the highest Pakistan-Afghan-ISAF military-to-military levels, with a view to devising appropriate strategy to curb the activities of the militants. Another meeting between the concerned military authorities will be held to enhance information-sharing and coordination between Pakistan-Afghanistan and NATO/ISAF.
6. As affirmed by President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani, Pakistan desires the closest of relations with Afghanistan. We believe that both countries are faced with common challenges relating to militancy and terrorism which require deep and close cooperation.
7. The Foreign Secretary and the Afghan Ambassador expressed satisfaction on the recent meetings in Kabul. The Foreign Secretary expressed gratitude to the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the excellent arrangements made for the holding of constructive talks in Kabul.
For more information, contact:
Syed Haider Ali Jafri
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Government of Pakistan
Tel: +9251 921 0335 and 9056604